- Eros or romantic love, is the driving force for survival and reproduction.
- Storge (storgay) is the unconditional love found in families.
- Pragma love is practical and found long-term mutual interest.
- Ludus love is best described as “playful” with a “no strings attached” agreement.
- Philautia is self-love.
- Agape love is the universal love for all things. Agape underlies altruism or selflessness which causes a release of oxytocin which encourages feelings of love and tenderness.
- Philia is friendship love and it arises out of a sense of good will.
The Mindbenders 1965 song, It’s A Groovy Kind of Love, was clearly about eros love, but all love is kinda groovy.
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At DrClaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.
Sign up for the Sunday newsletter/"wrap-up" to get the week's Parenting Pointers and blog posts delivered to your digital door.