There’s a horrifying risk for those of us who pop contact lenses in and then, take a shower.
That risk is the microscopic water-borne parasite called Acanthamoeba. If it gets trapped between the contact lens and cornea, this parasite will burrow into your eye and make itself at home.
A British man traveled the terrifying 18-month long road from infection..to diagnosis...to blindness...to corneal scrapings...to many rounds of eye drops...to ultraviolet treatments...to grafting of amniotic tissue to his cornea... to finally, a corneal transplant.
He hopes to regain his vision by working with the organization, Fight for Sight.
Be smart. Take out your contact lenses before swimming and showering.
Don’t wear them for long. Don’t sleep with them. Don’t clean them with spit or share them.
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.