They can't possibly understand that our fears are based in reality because, perhaps, we have expressed concern about so very many things that did not happen that we've lost our credibility. It's just so much "blah, blah, blah" when we open our mouths. We're "globally hysterical" and therefore, have a bad rep.
So, it's time to take a different tact. We have to be more specific. "Drive safely" goes unheard. Use a variety of these phrases:
- "I trust you'll follow the speed limit."
- "Put the cellphone on the floor. It's 15 minutes to school. Leave a little early so that once you get to school, you can return everyone's messages."
- "Stay focused on the traffic."
- "Your driving decisions affect others."
- "Your safety is your responsibility."
- "Any tickets or damage to the car will be your on your dime and yard work doesn't pay well."
- "There will be swift and severe consequences for violating the rules of the car."
You've really done all you can by the time they're independently driving.
Just do your best, Claudia
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch