This is the document I use to collect data from parents about their child's critical milestones.
Use this to document your child's developmental progress.
- Therapro - www.therapro.com (this site has a variety of raised line papers to help your child control their fine motor skills when writing).
- Future Horizons - www.fhautism.com
- Autism Speaks - www.autismspeaks.org
- Exceptional Minds: A Non-Profit Animation and Visual Effects School and Studio for Young Adults on the Autism Spectrum - www.exceptionalmindsstudio.org
- Michelle Garcia Winner - www.socialthinking.com
- iLaugh Model by Michelle Garcia Winner - iLaugh Model of Social Cognition
Listen with Your Eyes and Brain
Abstract and Inferential Language
Getting the Big Picture
- Relationship Development Intervention - www.rdiconnect.com
- Resources for hyperlexia, autism and sensory issues - andnextcomesl.com
- TEACCH - "The University of North Carolina TEACCH Autism Program's mission is to create and cultivate the development of exemplary community-based services, training programs, and research to enhance the quality of life for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder across the lifespan." This excellent resource can be accessed through their website - www.teacch.com
- Autism Self Advocacy Network - "The Autistic Self Advocacy Network seeks to advance the principles of the disability rights movement with regard to autism." - autisticadvocacy.org
- The Autism Site - this site has a blog and other resources - blog.theautismsite.com - there's also a store and resources at this page
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents - autism.sesamestreet.org
- Dealing with sensory overload while shopping - www.retailmenot.com/blog/sensory-overload-while-shopping.html
- Estate Planning for Parents of Special Needs Kids - www.justgreatlawyers.com/estate-planning-for-parents-of-children-with-autism
- Autism-related sleep disorders
- TSA Wings for Autism - www.tsa.gov
- The Sensory Spectrum - a site for a wide variety of resources for sensory needs- www.thesensoryspectrum.com
- Prufrock Press - www.prufrockpress.com
- Johns-Hopkins Center for Talented Youth - www.cty.jhu.edu
- National Association for Gifted Children - www.nagc.org
- National Association for Gifted Children - State-by-state organizations - www.nagc.org/resources-publications/gifted-state
- Hoagies' Gifted Education Page - amazing resources for gifted of all ages - www.hoagiesgifted.org
CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
- Friendship Circle - this program provides socially integrated programs to empower persons with developmental disabilities to build friendships, independence and to live purposeful lives as active members of the community - www.friendshipfoundation.com
- Disability Scoop - "...is a national news publication covering developmental disabilities, so we are looking for stories that are timely and topics that will interest readers throughout the country" -www.disabilityscoop.com
- Parents Helping Parents - this organization covers multiple disabilities through local meetings, educational support and other resources - www.php.com
- Selective Mutism Center - this is the website for selective mutism, anxiety, and related disorders and treatment center and is excellent - selectivemutismcenter.org
- National Military Family Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) - www.militaryfamily.org/info-resources/efmp-special-needs.html
- Center for Parent Information and Resources - www.parentcenterhub.org
- National Military Family - resources for all aspects of family life - www.militaryfamily.org/about-us
- Tools to help kids express emotions - this tools uses robot flash cards to teach emotional expressions- mrprintables.com/emotion-flashcards.html
- Emotional animals dice game for younger kids- www.twinkl.com
- If I Need Help - patches, shoe tags, identification cards, window clings, bumper stickers, dog tags, pins, and clips as well as other resources to allow your child to be identified and caregivers notified in the case of emergency - ifineedhelp.org
LEARNING DISABILITIES & LANGUAGE PROCESSING DISORDERS &
ADHD-RELATED LEARNING ISSUES
ADHD-RELATED LEARNING ISSUES
- Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes - www.lindamoodbell.org
- Understood for Learning and Attentional Problems - www.understood.org
- Learning Works for Kids - Playing Smarter in the Digital Age - www.learningworksforkids.com
- Beyond Book Smart - 5 Great Executive Functioning Skills apps - www.beyondbooksmart.com
- The Jonathan Foundation - thejonathanfoundation.org
- Dr. Dave's AT Lab - welcome-to-dr-daves-at-lab
- Don Johnston - support for reading and writing. I've had great success with my clients with the software products from this company, especially writing which requires planning and organizing - donjohnston.com
- Kurzweil Education - www.kurzweiledu.com
- Association of Educational Therapists - this site is a valuable resource for learning about and finding an educational therapist - www.aetonline.org
- Cambium Learning - offering software to support learning issues from kindergarten through adulthood - www.cambiumlearningtechnologies.com
- Genius Scan - www.thegrizzlylabs.com/genius-scan
- Teenology 101 - www.teenology101.seattlechildrens.org
EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
- Parents Action - www.parentsaction.org
- Creative kids for babies 0-24 months. Monthly subscription. Play kits based on Montessori developmental theories. Fabulous! www.the playkits.com
- Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe by Gavin de Becker
- Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong--and What You Really Need to Know by Emily Oster
- Against Terrible Odds: Lessons in Resilience from Our Children by Saul Levine, M.D. and Heather Wood Ion
- The Science of Mom: A Research-Based Guide to Your Baby's First Year by Alice Callahan
- Screen-Smart Parenting: How to Find Balance and Benefit in Your Child's Use of Social Media, Apps, and Digital Devices by Jodi Gold
- The Informed Parent: A Science-Based Resources for Your Child's First Four Years by Emily Willingham and Tara Haelle
- Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child by Martha Heineman Pieper and William J. Pieper, M.D.
- On Playing a Poor Hand Well: Insights from the Lives of Those Who Have Overcome Childhood Risks and Adversities by Mark Katz
- The Chill & Spill Journal - for that pre-teen and teen who is willing to write out their feelings and events - www.amazon.com/Chill-Spill-Place-Down-Work
- A coloring/make your own story book - www.amazon.com/Write-Story-Coloring-Childrens-Activity
- Printable emotions matching cards for preschoolers - fromabcstoacts.com/emotions-matching-game
- Childhood 101 - these cards help children process "big" emotions - childhood101.com
- Today, I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis - www.amazon.com/Today-Feel-Silly-Other-Moods
- Best iPad apps for kids - www.youtube.com
- Touch and Learn Emotions - /us/app/touch-and-learn-emotions
- Emotions Memory Game - this game enhances both visual memory and emotional processing at the same time! - matchthememory.com
- Kimochi dolls - teaches kids about feelings and traits - www.kimochis.com
- Get Ready. Get Safe. This is a disaster preparedness website focusing on ways to minimize risk for your child. Very important stuff here - savethechildren.org
- Life 360. "Life360 is a Family Locator App that lets you locate family members and quickly communicate with them. The app is available on Android, iPhone, and BlackBerry for use with popular phone companies such as Verizon, Sprint, and ATT." Get this free app, www.Life360.com.
POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION (COLLEGE)
- Chegg.com - this website allows you to build a portfolio to showcase an applicant's strengths beyond grades and test scores. There's an option called Chegg Tutors where you can get one-on-one help starting at 50 cents a minute - www.chegg.com
- Parchment.com - This is a system to manage academic credentials such as transcripts online - www.parchment.com
- Cappex.com - this website has more than a million campus reviews by students who have attended the schools. Additionally, it offers the "ability to calculate realistic chances of admission by adding key academic details to a user profile" - www.cappex.com
- edX - Your college-bound student can sit in on classes, virtually. The site offers options to strengthen weak subject areas and Advanced Placement test prep - www.edx.org
- University Research and Review - This site is described as "a digital version of an old-school college admissions counselor" by asking questions designed to help student "identify abilities, interests and goals". Once the answers are assessed, the student will receive an email that suggests possible areas of study. The analysis is human-generated and not by a computer - urandr.org
- Khan Academy College Admissions - This site offers information on "how to navigate the college application process and then some: writing a killer application essay, lining up financial aid and more. It was the perfect big-picture overview..." - www.khanacademy.org
FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Network of Southern California - www.fasdsoutherncalifornia.org
- National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - www.nofas.org
- Fetal Alcohol spectrum Disorder Center for Excellence - www.samhsa.gov
- Minnesota Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - www.mofas.org
- Michigan Coalition for Fetal Alcohol Resources, Education and Support - www.mcfares.org
- Healthline - www.healthline.com/health/fetal-alcohol-syndrome
INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES (previously known as mental retardation)
PHYSICALLY DISABLED AND RELATED CHALLENGES
- Center for Parent Information and Resources - www.parentcenterhub.org/foradults
- College Guide for Students with Physical Disabilities - bestcolleges.com/resources/college-planning-with-physical-disabilities
- Substance Use Disorder Treatment for People with Physical and Cognitive Disabilities - store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-29-Substance-Use-Disorder-Treatment-for-People-With-Physical-and-Cognitive-Disabilities/SMA12-4078
- Substance Abuse and Physical Disabilities by Bruce Carruth - www.amazon.com/Substance-Physical-Disability-Addictions-Treatment
- Social Care Institute for Excellence - Physical disabilities resources and services
- Home Accessibility for People with Disabilities in Recovery - redfin.com/blog/the-comprehensive-guide-to-home-accessibility-for-people-with-disabilities-in-recovery
- Low vision access to the internet - www.afb.org
ACADEMIC SUPPORT MATERIALS (available on amazon.com)
- American History Teacher's Book of Lists by Fay R. Hansen
- Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook
- The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists 5th Edition by Edward B. Fry
- The Elementary Teacher's Book of Lists by Gary Robert Muschla
- The Math Teacher's Book of Lists 2nd Edition by Judith A. Muschla
- The Social Studies Teacher's Book of Lists by Ronald L. Partin
- The Math Teacher's Book of Lists: Grades 5-12 2nd Edition by Judith A. Muschla
- The Writing Teacher's Book of Lists by Gary Robert Muschla
- The Vocabulary Teacher's Books of Lists by Edward B. Fry
- The Literature Teacher's Book of Lists by Judie L. H. Strouf
- Council of Parent Advocates and Attorneys -www.copaa.org
- Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy - www.wrightslaw.com
- Special Education Rights and Responsibilities/Disability Rights California - www.disabilityrightsca.org
- Legal Resources for Special Needs: Just Great Lawyers - www.justgreatlawyers.com/legal-resources-considerations-seniors-special-needs
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Save the Children. Get Ready. Get Safe. - disaster preparedness for kids and families - www.savethechildren.org
IDEAS AND "STUFF" FOR KIDS
- When your kids are born, reserve them an e-mail address. Throughout the years, send them notes, thoughts, pictures, stories, anything you'll want them to enjoy or know later. On their 18th birthday, give them the password!
- If your kid was born on September 1, take a photo on October 1, November 1 and the final pic should be on their first birthday. You'll be amazed at their growth and development. Frame the pictures and display!
- Keep those large boxes! You can break them down for easy storage and when you need a break, tape the bottom and put your little one in it with a bunch of crayons and let them color away. Turn on some kid-friendly music and they're contained for a bit. If they're really young, but are able to color, cut some holes with and without flaps so they can check out the world while they're in there! So fun!
- Casting your family's hands. The Edinburgh Casting Studio is based in the UK, but kits are available from amazon.com.
- Don't sew? No worries. Make your own Kid Crash Mat! A great "crash space" for kids with sensory processing disorders or any other kid, for that matter!
- Have a sandbox for the kids? Consider putting a small tent over it so it is both shaded and can be closed up at night so that critters can't get in it. Being enclosed keeps grass from growing in it.
- This is an idea for adults, too, but if you have a "busy" kid who needs to move while they do their schoolwork, consider the VariDesk - www.varidesk.com. It will last them a lifetime. Not right for you right now? Consider making a homemade "standing desk". Let them "wiggle while they work".
- The Tooth-Keeper - a wooden case for keeping their "toofers"! - www.jbdiscountdeals.com
- Blossom Baby Bath - an in-the-sink mat for baby's bath time.
- Great volunteering opportunities for your kids right here - blog.connectionsacademy.com
WEBSITES I LIKE FOR KIDS
WEBSITES I LIKE FOR KIDS
- Growing a Jeweled Rose - www.growingajeweledrose.com
- SCIENTIFICS - www.scientificsonline.com
- Amazing Kids! - this "is a celebration of kids' talents and achievement in a wide range of areas" amazing-kids.org
- National Public Radio Tiny Desk Concert Performances - www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts Check out the Blue Man Group, Joshua Bell & Jeremy Denk, Alessio Bax, Gaelynn Lea, Madisen Ward and The Mama Bear, Yusef, Tweedy, and The Preservation Hall Jazz Band.
- TinkerCrate - get a project every month! - www.kiwico.com
- Dad Does - A Place Where Dads Do Things and Review Things - www.daddoes.com
- The Dad Lab - Kids, Science and Toy Reviews (and cool videos of science experiments and "stuff") - thedadlab.net
- The Raddish Club for Kids - monthly boxes with recipes and "stuff" for kids - raddish.com
- Kitchen Science Lab for Kids: 52 Family Friendly Experiments from Around the House by Liz Lee Heinecke - www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Science-Lab-Kids-Experiments
MISCELLANEOUS, BUT OH SO IMPORTANT STUFF...
MISCELLANEOUS, BUT OH SO IMPORTANT STUFF...
- A guide on how to keep those with special needs and senior adults safe around remodeling projects - www.bigrentz.com/how-to-guides/keeping-seniors-special-needs-individuals-safe-around-construction-sites
- Home modification grants for those with disabilities - www.homeadvisor.com/r/grants-for-home-modification
- Creating a home where your disabled child can thrive - www.homecity.com/creating-a-home-where-your-child-can-thrive-with-a-disability
- Want to know what your child's teacher knows about managing behavior and teaching your child? Then, check out - www.teachervision.com/teaching-strategies/special-needs
- Disaster preparedness for those with special needs - www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/4674/emergency-preparedness-seniors-disabled
- How being disabled affects your credit score - highriskpay.com/disabled-hurts-credit-know-find-help
- Department of Labor Disability Resources - dol.gov/odep/topics/disability.htm
- Oh, how to deal with the clutter of disabilities - yourstoragefinder.com/declutter-and-organize-your-home-seniors-special-needs
- Money and special needs - www.onereversemortgage.com/blog/2017/03/special-needs-seniors-planning-for-the-future-of-this-vulnerable-population (this website does not focus on reverse mortgages...I'm not sure how I feel about them, but I lean toward this being a "dangerous" financial product, but may be a last resort).
- Home ownership for those with disabilities - www.thesimpledollar.com/home-ownership-for-people-with-disabilities
- Help for those who are grieving and the people who feel helpless to help - www.refugeingrief.com
- KardiaMobile - portable EKG - store.alivecor.com/products/kardiamobile
- There are 178,540,588 papers from all fields of science to explore on www.semanticscholar.org.
- Project Jumpstart - part of Mike Rowe's Profoundly Disconnected project to offer training for the trades due to a severe shortage of skilled craftspeople.
- Mike Rowe Works and the Universal Technical Institute - the foundation on which all of Mike Rowe's efforts to train more skilled craftspeople
- The Work Ethic Scholarship Program - to pay the tuition for the trades training
- Code.org helps kids to learn how to code- code.org/
- UCode - also an organization where kids learn how to code - www.ucode.com/
- Learn coding and software engineering with Karlie Kloss - kodewithklossy.com/