- If Jeff is moving on to another school, visit several times so he can get acquainted.
- If a friend is going to the same school, invite him to go along. Arrange for them to travel together the first day, so Jeff will have someone to play with and have lunch.
- When returning after a holiday break, ease into the routine by going to bed 15 minutes earlier every other night.
- Organize his backpack and refresh supplies.
- Plan for a special breakfast. Serve very small portions. Adrenaline may be dumping causing nausea. Keep it light.
- Ask Jeff to identify any specific fears and review the plan if he has an emergency.
- Having a plan is halfway to not needing one.
- Give him a “secret object” that reminds him of home.
- Use language such as, “I have confidence you can cope with this”. Don’t tell Jeff he’ll be fine. He may cope with the stress, but he won’t feel fine doing it.
Just do the best you can, Claudia
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch