I’ve tested a number of college-bound kids so they can have classroom accommodations. I tell them things they’re not likely to hear from others.
Here’s the list:
- Develop a healthy suspicion and mistrust of everyone.
- Make them earn trust.
- Don’t loan anything of value to anyone ever.
- Lock up your stuff always.
- Don’t let anyone mistreat you even a little bit. Allowing someone to mistreat you gives some people permission to treat you worse the next time.
- Girls lie. They lie about birth control, seeing other guys, etc.
- Boys lie. You’re probably not “the one”.
- Boys and girls can give you the human papilloma virus, a major cause of mouth and throat cancers.
- If you’ve dated someone and they get intense about you, get help immediately. It will get worse.
- When in doubt, ask yourself-“Can I live with the short and long-term consequences and is this healthy for me?”
Good luck and have fun!
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At DrClaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.
Sign up for the Sunday newsletter. Don't miss a thing!