There is a serious, but overlooked issue for first year college students.
- Make sure you and your student understand the school’s policies about drug and alcohol use.
- If they have a medical emergency and require intervention as the result of using substances, will they be automatically released from the school?
- Are they taking prescription medications that need to be locked up?
- Before going to college, your student needs to talk with their physician about interactions with illegal drugs, alcohol and energy drinks. This includes oral contraceptives.
- Make sure they know how to access medical services on campus. If they’re in a pinch, they can call a local pharmacist to ask about the timing of taking their meds and their plans to party that night.
Despite what you’ve taught them, they’re likely to take chances. Teach them how to help themselves stay out of trouble and stay in school.
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At DrClaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.
Get all 5 of this week's Parenting Pointers and Blog Posts delivered to your digital door. Sign up for the Sunday newsletter.