They judged their intelligence by their terrible grades. They had no idea they were really smart.
Why the discrepancy between their intelligence and their grades? The issue is with executive functioning. These deficits subtract from their IQ.
- They don’t plan ahead in order to get tasks done at the right time.
- They usually run short. When they get around to starting the assignment, they don’t finish it because they can’t keep their attention span.
- They lose materials.
- They forget what the assignment was and they get frustrated easily.
- They don’t monitor themselves as they move through the assignment and get “off course”.
- When they study for tests, they fail because they forget the materials or missed some of the notes.
Disheartening and disappointing. They lose hope and the behavior problems erupt. Get them tested and get them help.
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At DrClaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.
Sign up for the weekly wrap-up/newsletter. You get the week's 5 Parenting Pointers and 5 blog posts delivered to your digital door.