1. The new vaping product, JUUL, that looks like a memory stick and has minimal vapor and kids are actually using it in the classroom! Check out this article for more details.
2. The technology for cars that makes it easier to help your teen become a more responsible driver.
3. Dr. Harvey Karp, renowned pediatrician and author of The Happiest Baby, has proposed that a possible explanation for the cause of autism might just be related to the chemicals in plastic. What do you think? Read his article to learn more.
4. The question posed by a mother regarding perpetuating the tooth fairy was fun. Here are some fantastic resources for you! Hard Times for Tooth Fairy and 8 Ways to Add a Fun Spin to the Tale of the Tooth Fairy. Don't fall down, but last year, the tooth fairy paid out over $270 million! Oh, we Americans never do anything on a small scale. Oh, and here's another fun list of ideas I just found!
5. Alicia asked about child custody evaluations. Here's the blog post/article I wrote about this "cottage industry".
6. We Mommas know this already...Being a Mom Equivalent to 2.5 Full-Time Jobs. Love this article although the estimates are really, really LOW!!
7. Martin called about a segment I did on an affiliate station where we talked about retention (holding a child back a grade). I talked about a variety of issues to explore before making this very important decision, one of which is to rule out a language processing disorder.
I explained that children who experienced a complicated birth (long labor and "pushing" time) that resulted in low APGAR scores and those children with multiple middle ear infections (otitis media), who stutter or mispronounce words are vulnerable to having language processing disorders.
I mentioned that speech and language therapy (likely to be compensated by insurance) and Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes (not covered under insurance but could be compensated by the school district) are options for treatment, but you have to have a competent evaluation first! School-based therapy is unlikely to make a difference since so little time is actually spent in treatment.
We talked about how the royal baby watch has begun and I mentioned a number of new "food" products have hit the market:
- Peach-flavored Cheerios-food
- Krispy Kreme Reese's Peanut Butter Egg Doughnuts-almost food
- Sonic Pickle Juice Slushies-might be food
- Target's Unicorn Magic Ice Cream-not in any way food...ugh. "Fruity pink ice cream with a sour blue raspberry swirl, a frosting swirl and glitter candy bits.
"Like" us on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch! At drclaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question!
See you next Sunday on the radio.