1. A 28 year old father of two in the UK developed sepsis from biting his fingernails and nearly died. Kids who bite their nails need to cut it out. It makes them "look different" from "the pack" and we need to find other ways to help them vent their anxiety or "fidgety-ness".
Why is sepsis such a problem? It can result in septic shock. Blood pressure drops dramatically which can result in death. The initial stage involves the release of chemicals into the blood that are supposed to fight the infection. At times, the chemicals overwhelm the body and create body-wide inflammation. As the inflammation progresses, the damage causes multiple organs to fail.
2. Want to know more about keyless cars and carbon monoxide deaths? It's very serious. Educate yourselves.
3. A Mom sent a question through DrClaudia.net's "Ask Me" button asking about her son who has been diagnosed with dyslexia, ADHD and language processing disorders. She was looking for effective resources to remediate his issues. Clearly, she needs to consult with her pediatrician about medically treating the ADHD. A speech and language therapist can treat his language processing disorders and Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes is the treatment I would recommend for treating dyslexia and reading/writing deficits.
If Momma cannot find a solid referral for a speech and language therapist, she may want to go to the American Speech and Hearing Association. It's important for Momma to sit in front of the therapists she chose and make sure they're a good fit for her son.
Momma may also want to go to the Association of Educational Therapists and identify an educational therapist to work with her son on those "academic skills" necessary to benefit from his educational opportunity. Those with ADHD can suffer from memory deficits, slow speed of processing and executive functioning deficits.
And now, here's the stuff that disgusts me...
1. Scot Peterson, "Broward Coward Cop" is getting a whopping $8,702 a month pension. He stood outside the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when kids were being slaughtered by a madman.
2. The New Jersey Mommy who complained when her daughter didn't make it on the cheer leading squad and now, everyone gets to be on the squad.
3. How the Broward County Schools and the Obama-era "Promise" program failed to protect the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School by not making Nikolas Cruz responsible for his behavior. Read this and cringe.
4. Last week, I shared the story of a house fire in Florida that was blamed on an exploding vape pen. A charred body was found in the home. Well, here's what happened...the 38-year old man using the vape pen was killed when it exploded and two of the pieces from the pen impaled him in the head, killing him and setting fire to his house.
Well, there you have it, the good and the ugly.
See you next week on the radio,
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At DrClaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.