We don't have the money to keep buying things because a whopping 50% of Americans have nothing, nada, zip in savings accounts. ZERO! This is why credit card debt threatens the country.
- 10% of us rent storage units (NYT magazine). When did you last visit yours? Do you still need it?
- There are 300,000 items in the AVERAGE American home (LA Times) and our homes have tripled in size over the past 50 years (NPR).
- Even though our homes are triple the size, only 1/3 of us can fit only one car in our 2-car garages!!
- EVERY man, woman and child in America could fit under the roof of America's self-storage centers (SSA).
- America has 3.1% of world's children, yet those kids have 40% of the world's toys! (UCLA)
- We spend $5400 per year on impulse buys, most of which are food!
- Over your lifetime, you'll spend a total of 153 days searching for misplaced items, usually your phone, keys, sunglasses and paperwork (Daily Mail).
Yes, the advertising talent of America have convinced us to buy, buy, buy. I say, resist, resist, resist!
Join me on Facebook at Dr. Claudia McCulloch.
At drclaudia.net, click on the "Ask Me" button and send me a question.